I can't explain how full of joy and hope I am after participating in the Chicago Women's March. Holy shit that was a powerful start to the resistance! I stitched my sign (of course). It got quite a bit of attention on the interwebs and at the march. Craftivism is powerful.
Community Craftivism Project - #EndGunViolence
What a success!
You astounded me friends! The results of our #EndGunViolence craftivism project were unbelievable!
- 200 pieces of fiber art submitted from 10 countries and 40 states
- The opening reception of the gallery show was INSANE with hundreds of people in attendance
- A $2,000 faculty grant from Columbia College to fund the show
- We raised OVER $5,000 to support Project F.I.R.E.
- Our free community embroidery workshop + discussion was at capacity (and provided some much needed post-election processing)
- The Project FIRE youth sold EVERY SINGLE PIECE of their glass art AND learned how to embroider
I can't applaud you any harder. I love you.
about project fire
Project F.I.R.E. (Fearless Initiative for Recovery and Empowerment) is an artist development employment program that offers healing through glass blowing to youth injured by gun violence in Chicago. Project F.I.R.E. combines glass arts education, mentoring and trauma psychoeducation in order to support trauma recovery and create employment opportunities for young people who have been shot or witnessed the homicide of a loved one.